Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oddity

The following names have been changed to protect the identities of those mentioned in this blog.

Who cares? This message is supposed to grab anyone's attention. It worked for others and it can work for me too. However, I'm doing this all wrong. It's supposed to be used in real life and there's so much more to it. It's going to lose its credibility, because in person I can convey a friendly confident attitude. Who cares right? There are millions of fishes in the sea. If I send this message then nothing bad will happen right. I don't think anything will happen. What are the odds that she would see me in real life anyways? Debating with your conscious is like debating against a magic 8-ball. You know the right answer deep down inside, but you keep asking yourself until you finally make the choice you desire. Whoever made the proverb, "curiosity killed the cat" must relate to my story.

My short message was random and neutral. Its purpose was to simply engage in a conversation without perceiving myself as a threat. I clicked the send tab. It must of been months until I found out what reality had in stored for me. My friend, Seth, called me up out of no where to tell me the good news. He asked me if I knew his cousin, Lisa, because she told him about my old message. I didn't know who Lisa was or what he was talking about. Then a cartoon cloud floated over my head to make it apparent who it was. It was that girl I came across with dozens of clicks. I seriously want to know the statistic of the odds of this happening. He then tells me that she was curious too. I never attained a reply from her, but for some reason she wanted to meet me. I guess the message worked after all. That thought diminished in a split second, until he told me she negatively thought it was out of the ordinary. I knew something bad was going to happen from there.

In the next week or two, I was hanging out with Seth at his house. He tells me that his cousin is coming over today. I had a feeling she wouldn't come over, because it was that gut feeling. Guess what happened next? She came over. I opened the door to greet her and walked her upstairs into Seth's room. I sat down two feet away from her on the bed. I couldn't believe what was happening. The girl, who I sent a digital message to months ago, was right next to me in person. It was my chance to socially shine, but there was one dilemma. I have not been in the "game" for months. My skills were considerably rusty. After the small talk in the room, she gave me a ride to my house down the street. The conversation I implemented during the drive was banter and meaningless. I talked about movies for thirty minutes when I was supposed to build attraction and not try to create rapport prematurely. My gut was telling me this was going no where. Then the unthinkable emerged from the vault of screw ups. She handed me her cell phone to show me some interesting pictures, but she forgot I had it in my hand. It was too late to stop her as she drove away from my house. I went inside my room thinking about how weird this has become. I exacerbated the situation indeed, but I knew I had to give her the phone somehow. I called her house phone a couple of times, but no answer. After a few minutes of stress, she finally picked up. There was no opportunity for her to retrieve her cell phone that night, so we decided that the mourning would suffice. She came back around the time I was late for class. She offered a ride to my school while we still had meaningless banter conversation in the car.

After the incident, I came to a conclusion in my train of thoughts. Bottom line is, never take a woman's cell phone no matter what the reason is. It doesn't matter if it's on purpose or by accident. It doesn't matter if the cell phone is cheap or expensive. The principle is that taking a woman's cell phone is like taking her makeup or her purse. Yet, I thought I would have redemption. Forgive and forget about the escapade maybe? The problem was not the initial message that started this fiasco. If a woman wants to meet a guy and take her own time to meet the person in real life, then that's a sign of interest. When I met her in person, I didn't know what to do. My mentor would be kicking himself, but he would also say it's no big deal. When I ventured into the "game", I wanted situations like this one to never happen again. I've come to an understanding that whatever I do, there will be consequences either good or bad. I made the decision to send the message, with a warning from my conscious that it may affect me in the future. I also made the decision to stop the "game" for a while and not convey my social skills to her that day. I also made the mistake of taking her cell phone. It doesn't matter if we would have hit it off or not despite the cell phone incident. What matters is that I learned that anything can happen. What are the odds of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment