Friday, May 8, 2009

Who is Potential?

A wise man once asked me to ask myself this question: who are you? In the moment, I couldn't give myself a one hundred percent answer. Instead, I thought about my experiences and qualities. I thought about girls in particular because I had some bad experiences. I thought about my qualities such as funny, polite, outgoing, and caring. Aren't those good qualities? Why would I have bad experiences with women then? It's because I changed my approach and mind set of the "game". Even though, I am still the same person. So the main question still came into mind: who are you?

It takes time to really know who you are. I remember when I was in elementary school; the fattest kid would be me. I ate a lot at home because there was not much to do at the time, besides watch television and sleep. Heck, I was like this from five years old to fourteen years of age. In middle school, people from my elementary still saw me as the fat kid. However, the result of eating sweet and salty foods was not the only problem; I was very unsociable. I would be very shy when it came to joining groups in science class. The teacher would announce everyone to get into groups and the person left alone would be me. Groups were either made up of close friends or people daring enough to pose as a friend. I wish it was the teacher that decided; after all he would break them apart if they were too loud. There were times when I broke out of my shell like I was the Incredible Hulk. In presentations, I would try to out due any classmate by using originality and laughter to win over their approval. When I read a book out loud once in English class; I initiated my British impersonation in hope that people would enjoy it. I felt truly happy inside, until someone told me that it was stupid and not funny at all. I became try-hard and rude which became the opposite of my intentions. They even said I try to act "smart" with the tonality of my voice (showing sophistication), like I was running for election at the podium. What was the answer to my problems? How can I convey my personality without looking like a show off or loser?

I want to better myself and be social. I want to be the guy at parties who everyone wonders, "Who's that guy, I want to meet him?" I don't want to be a follower but a leader. I want the ability to talk to anyone about entirely anything from exchanging stories to opinions about the weather. So I ask myself through my experiences and qualities: who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment