Thursday, May 14, 2009

Interview: The Rhyme Crusaders

In high school I met three men who would later assemble the Underground Hip Hop group, Rhyme Crusaders. For months, I've witnessed their hard work and dedication to music in Rythmatical's studio. It's where I spend my days hanging out and writing too. The atmosphere is affected by their positive outlook, engaged minds, and laid back attitude. I strongly believe that they will succeed in what they do and it's only in a matter of time until I'm chilling in their tour bus. This is an exclusive interview of the Rhyme Crusaders. Rythmaical, Insomniac, and Havoc are the current members. This is their response.

Potential: What types of music do you guys like yourselves?
Rhyme Crusaders: We like everything really, except for Country and Gothic shit.

Potential: So what type of music are you guys aiming to make?
Rhyme Crusaders: A little Marvin Gay mixed with Tupac is what we try to create.

Potential: What made you think of the name Rhyme Crusaders?
Rythmatical: The Grouch's song, "Crusaders for Justice" inspired me to be on a rhyming mission.

Potential: Is there any special technique you have for writing your lyrics?
Rhyme Crusaders: Read some poetry books first, then start a freestyle session as a warm up and skat (skat is filling melodies in with words).

Potential: Creating beats takes time, patience, and persistence. On an average, how long does it take you to create a beat?
Rythmatical: It depends on how much time and effort you have. I've made beats within minutes to hours to days.
Insomniac: For me it takes about six to eight hours.

Potential: Do you believe that the best studio equipment matters or you can still make music without a lot of money to invest?
Insomniac: You can do work with the limited amount of equipment, but it depends on how well you use what you have to flip samples.

Potential: Define flipping?
Rhyme Crusaders: Taking a sample and making it your own. For us, we keep the same melody because the melody is what inspired us to make it into a beat.

Potential: Do you guys remember a time when you couldn't rap? How did you guys bounce back to rap?
Rythmatical: Before I was in high school. My cousin, Eric, started showing me scribble jam tapes of people battling. It inspired me.
Insomniac: I was at a party and I was feeling out of it so I wasn't really in my flow. Honestly I was too fucked up to focus.
Havoc: When Rythmatical made me come into his studio for the first time. He made me spit to some of his beats. Over a certain amount of time I liked to flow and I got better at it. I stuck with it.

Potential: If you can choose anyone to collaborate with, who would it be?
Rythmatical: I would collaborate with the Grouch when he was in his old school days. One Be Lo too, because their lyrical words tell truth.
Insomniac: J Dilla and living legends, because they were the first underground music I've listened to.
Havoc: Big L and 9th Wonder on the same track, and Rythmatical just so he won't get butt hurt lol.

Potential: In a couple of years, where do you guys see yourselves in music?
Rhyme Crusaders: We'll be at Iguanas for open mic and we'll rock the crowd!

Potential: Do you have any words of inspiration for fellow up and coming emcees?
Rythmatical: Be true to yourself; don't try to fall into anything. Create your own movement.
Insomniac: Stick with it and you'll get better.
Havoc: I can't say much for now, because I'm still coming up.

After the interview, the crew worked on a song while I wrote in my blog. My word of inspiration is that if you love something then you should go out there and embrace it. It takes desire and a lot of heart. Some people love writing and others love music.

No comments:

Post a Comment